Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Countdown Cancelled and The Best Film of 2003


The Countdown to Man of Steel has been cancelled after one post.

This is partially because of a complete lack of content. I honestly thought that a big-budget Superman reboot would lead to all sorts of wacky and incredible promotional tie-ins like the 2006 "sequel" did. After trips to several local supermarkets/convenience stores, I've discovered that there is almost nothing available that's worth taking a look at. Yes, there were boxes of Cheez-Its and Pop-Tarts with the iconic S-symbol front and sorta' centered. I also found some fruit snacks, but they were generic Superman style, owing nothing to the new film. Somehow, DreamWorks' new animated-feature, Turbo, about a hyper-kinetic snail, managed to earn its own limited edition cereal, but Superman did not. This is the world we live in now and it is awful, maybe.

The other reason for the cancellation is something I briefly touched upon before in the single Countdown post, which is my personal feelings towards Man of Steel. You could say they are less than enthusiastic. This surprises a lot of people who know me, because I enjoy comic books and I enjoy movies. I must be almost orgasmic at the idea of combining the two things, right? Eh. This is sometimes true when it comes to films like The Avengers or X-Men: First Class, but it is not always the case. There are quite a few cinematic adaptations of comic books that I have not seen, nor have any intention of ever seeing; the two Fantastic Four movies, Green Lantern, either of the Ghost Rider flicks, Cowboys and Aliens, V for Vendetta and many others. My love for these two distinct, visual mediums doesn't equal an immediate or even an eventual devotion to any project that may mix them together.

I have a difficult enough time writing about the things that I feel passionate about, so I'm not sure why it is that I thought I could manage a week of posts related to a movie I'm not that interested in seeing. It was a lazy attempt at drawing in some readers, hoping to catch some [very] minor attention due to the film's release date looming nearer.


Meanwhile, I just finished watching The Station Agent for the first time and I can barely think of anything worth talking about it here, despite the fact that it's probably one of the best "older" films I've seen so far this year. This happens far too frequently, where I stumble upon something and immediately fall in love with it, yet I can't seem to find the right words to express my adoration or appreciation.

4 comments:

  1. Eh, don't beat up on yourself too much. We're all guilty of the occasional shameless page-view-grab. I think I enjoy reading your reasons for cancelling the countdown MORE than I would have liked the countdown itself.

    I've never seen the Station Agent before... but I've been meaning to. I'm guessing from this post that you enjoyed it.

    And here's some advice: Even if you hate the words you end up picking, strive to find the right ones to express your adoration and appreciation because THAT is what is eventually going to make you a better blogger/writer in general. Don't let the fact that you don't LOVE every word of your content prevent you from posting content.

    Looking back on the stuff from my first few blog posts... I HATE IT. And looking back on the stuff I'm posting now a year from now, I'm sure I'll feel the same way. Give yourself the freedom to fumble around and mess up a little. It's how you'll improve this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, your supportive words mean a lot to me. The idea with this blog is to get off my ass and really try my hand at writing again, something I haven't done in -years-, while paying tribute to the things I love and the new discoveries I'm finding on a regular basis. So, again, thank you for being an inspiration and taking the time to offer advice and encouragement.

      And where The Station Agent is concerned-- yes, it was really solid. Funny and sad and quiet with wonderful performances from the three leads.

      I found a screener VHS copy at a local thrift shop for .99-cents and remembered hearing good things, so I picked it up. I would definitely recommend checking it out if you get the chance.

      Delete
  2. The Station Agent is a fantastic film. I haven't seen it since about 2004 but the mood of it really stuck with me. Man of Steel, on the other hand... I'm feeling much the same about it, I've heard reactions mainly ranging from 'alright' to 'terrible', and my will to see it has been pretty much sucked dry. I will watch it one day though.

    Keep at the blog, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to thank you for taking the time to visit the blog and especially for leaving a comment.

      And nothing I've heard concerning Man of Steel has convinced me that I need to rush out and see it. I may wait until it hits Redbox or Netflix [two services I loathe, but have had to give in and adopt to replace the fallen video store], or I may never get around to seeing it. Word is, though, that Zach Snyder's already being pegged to direct a sequel and the inevitable Justice League film. Woof.

      Delete